“The number of mounted troops was twice ten thousand times ten thousand.” Revelation 9:16a ESV
2 x 10,000 x 10,000 = 200 Million. A 200 million man army?! For centuries it was virtually impossible to envision that a prophesy of an army 200 million strong could ever be fulfilled literally.
It would be silly to think such an army was possible. It would be silly to read this verse literally. It would be silly not to spiritualize this verse and think it means something other than what it clearly says!
Actually it’s never silly to believe what God clearly says. While such an army seemed impossible in the past, such an army isn’t all too difficult to envision today. With a population of 1.4 billion China could field such an army. With 1.28 billion it is also conceivable India could field an army 200 million strong.
Hebrews reminds us that “faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” Hebrews 11:1 KJV.
When prior generations read Revelation 9:16 it required faith to believe what God said. Why? because there was no evidence such an army was even possible! One had to have faith to believe it! Today a simple Google search quickly reveals how plausible a 200 million man army is.
Are you struggling to believe certain portions of God’s Word? Are you struggling to believe what God says in His book? If so, it is necessary to have faith. Faith that God always speaks the truth… even when there is no visible evidence of that truth. For without faith it is impossible to please God (Hebrews 11:6).
Population statistics http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/ Accessed August 15, 2015.
Originally published August 16, 2015 at assemblyHUB.com
yet I will not make a full end. Jeremiah 4:27 ESV
but make not a full end. Jeremiah 5:10 ESV
I will not make a full end of you Jeremiah 5:18 ESV
but of you I will not make a full end. Jeremiah 30:11 ESV
but of you I will not make a full end. Jeremiah 46:28 ESV
Looking for evidence that the Bible is true? Look to the Jew!
Some two thousand six hundred years ago God, through the prophet Jeremiah, told the Jewish people His judgment was about to be poured out on them. The Babylonians would overrun the Jewish nation and destroy the city of Jerusalem, including the temple. Many would die and most of the survivors would be taken captive and exiled to Babylon.
God also made a stunning promise: despite being brought to the brink of total annihilation, He would not make a full end of the Jews.
Fast forward 2,600 years: the Jews are still a clearly identifiable people! God has kept His promise– His word is fully trustworthy!
Editorial note: Originally published June 17, 2015 at assemblyHUB.com
Recorded 7:00 PM CT Monday, September 28 2015 at Rice University.
I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
C. S. Lewis, The Weight of Glory.
The second week of January 2012 was a very busy week on Digital Sojourner. Here are a few of the highlights:
- In Are you a DUDD? Part 1 Email Obession Crawford Paul explored the modern plague of digital distractions. While digital distractions come in many forms the most pervasive is email. Check out the post for his advice to help you tame the beast of email in your life.
- Tim Tebow and John 3:16 This time last year Tim Tebow was all the rage… everyone seemed to be tebowing AND goggling John 3:16.
- Also posted to Digital Sojourner this time last year was 5 Tips For Sharing Your Faith of Facebook. This post continues to be one of the most popular posts of all time on Digital Sojourner.
- Did God Create Evil? Is a very creative and interesting video that explores this age old question.
Hope you enjoy this flashback to 2012 Week #2
Last month we looked at the thought that we can’t get to a moral law or society without a moral standard outside of us. The recent events in Connecticut and China have reminded us that evil is very real in our world. Today I’d like to consider another subject that gives me evidence of a creator and more specifically, the God of Christianity. That subject is the Bible. The Bible remains the number one read book of all time by a landslide. It has sold almost 5 times more copies than the next best seller.
Now the Bible has been used and abused for many generations so my goal is not to address all the ways in which the Bible has been mistreated (and misinterpreted) to come up with weird and dangerous practices. I will be concentrating on some areas that are simply stated plainly and testable. There’s several ways the Bible shows evidence and in this post, part 1, I will be looking at the Bible and science.
The Bible doesn’t claim to be a science book. It is a book of God’s dealings with humanity over the course of many centuries culminating in the giving of His Son Jesus to rescue our souls from sin and the establishment of His church. However this does not mean that there isn’t science in the Bible and it’s upon this evidence that we turn to for a few moments.
The Bible makes scientific claims that are supernatural. They are supernatural in that they were written centuries before scientists had any idea about them. There’s too many to write them all in this post but here are a few that will adequately show what I mean.
- Job 36:27-28 “He draws up the water vapor and then distills it into rain. The rain pours down from the clouds, and everyone benefits.” This was written about 4300 years ago long before scientists discovered the very truth in this verse.
- Ecclesiastes 1:7 “All the rivers run into the sea, yet the sea is not full; to the place from which the rivers come, there they return again.” Solomon writes the words to Ecclesiastes roughly 950 BC or about 2700 years prior to scientists being able to prove the source of the world’s precipitation.
- Proverbs 6:6-8 ““Go the ant, you sluggard, consider her ways and be wise, which, having no captain, overseer or ruler, provides her supplies in the summer, and gathers her food in the harvest.” Notice the fact that the writer Solomon refers to the worker ants in the feminine. Notice also the details about what the female ants do and how they work. It wasn’t until the 1700’s that scientists discovered that ALL worker ants are female and that the patterns of activity in this verse are accurate.
- Genesis 2:7 “And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.” We are told that we are made from the earth. This was written thousands of years ago. Chemists only discovered in the past few hundred years that we have 59 elements that make up our bodies. Every single one of them can be found in the elements of the earth.
- Isaiah 40:22 ““It is He (God) who sits above the circle of the earth.” This was written about 700BC. It wasn’t proven scientifically until 230BC.
- Job 26:7 ““He stretches out the north over empty space; He hangs the earth on nothing.” Again this was written over 4000 years ago. Centuries before it was scientifically proven that the earth does indeed sit on nothing but empty space.
There are dozens more examples that could be given. Again none of these in isolation proves anything. But as you start to take the evidences together, so far moral and science, you can see how a case for God is not only very credible but very likely. As we get into more evidences the proof becomes even greater.
Jump back to the previous post in this series…
To be continued…