Commenting on Ezekiel 17:22-24 ~
Politics always proves to be a washout. Only the return of Christ offers any hope to this sin-drugged world.
MacDonald, William. Believer’s Bible Commentary: Old and New Testaments. Ed. Arthur Farstad. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 1995. Print.
Of which salvation the prophets…testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow, 1 Peter 1:10-11 KJV
Zechariah’s Biography of Christ ~ 518 BC
1. THE DONKEY (lowly) “Thy King cometh unto thee: he is just…lowly, and riding … upon a colt the foal of an ass, Zechariah 9:9. Messiah would not ride into Jerusalem on a glorious stallion, but on a donkey, revealing His meek and lowly character. (Matthew 21:5)
2. THE SHEPHERD “And I took unto me two staves; the one I called Beauty, and the other I called Bands; and I fed the flock”, Zechariah 11:7-17. A shepherd who would guide Israel with two shepherd staves called Beauty (favor) and Bands (to bind). But then because of rejection, He would break the staves and Israel would be judged and eventually be ruled by a false worthless shepherd who will slaughter them. (John 5:43 / John 10:11 / Hebrews 13:20)
3. THE SILVER (worth) “Give me my price… so they weighed for my price thirty pieces of silver”, Zechariah 11:12,13. Israel was asked to place a value on God’s shepherd. They valued him at 30 pieces of silver (price of an injured slaved) and then cast it to the potter at the Lord’s house. Judas betrayed the Lord Jesus for that amount. (Matthew 26:15, 27:3-10)
4. THE SWORD “Awake, O sword, against my shepherd, and against the man that is my fellow, saith the LORD of hosts: smite the shepherd, and the sheep shall be scattered:..”, Zechariah 13:7. God’s judgment sword that had spared the sinners did wake up and fall – not on the nations nor on Israel – but on His shepherd who was His equal (fellow) but also a man. All forsook Christ and He was crucified for our sins as Savior! (Matthew 26:31, John 19:34)
5. THE PIERCINGS “They shall look upon me whom they have pierced…” Zechariah 12:10. When Christ Jesus returns to earth Israel will see their Messiah – and He will have the pierce marks of the cross. In stunned horror, they will finally repent of their national rejection of Him and go into deep national mourning – and be cleansed in His fountain of sacrificial blood-forgiveness from all their sins. (John 19:34, 20:20 / Revelation 1:7)
6. THE BRANCH (life) “Behold the man whose name is The BRANCH”, Zechariah 6:11-13. A branch is something living that grows from a root to bear fruit. The Lord took a priest, Joshua (NT Jesus), and crowned him to sit on a throne. A man would grow like a branch into a full king-priest; religion and state merged in one person. And Messiah-King will rebuild the temple of God on earth. Christ Jesus is called “the branch of the LORD” (God), Isaiah 4:2 – “the Branch of righteousness to grow up unto David” (King), Jeremiah 33:15 – The high priest was told that God would bring forth “my servant the BRANCH” (priest), Zechariah 3:8 – and, “the man…The BRANCH” (human), Zechariah 6:12 (Hebrews 4:14 / Revelation 19:16)
7. THE WARRIOR “Then shall the LORD go forth, and fight against those nations”, Zechariah 14:1-11. When all nations are against Israel, then the Lord shall descend to Mount Olivet and save them from all their enemies with a worldwide judgment. Their Savior won’t be a politician but God – the glorious Lord Jesus Christ with the marks of the cross. He’s on a white horse this time with the armies of heaven. Then there will be “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men”. (Revelation 1:7, 17:14, 19:11-16 / Luke 2:14)